- "Which Sounds Are Significant? Towards a Rhetoric of Closed Captioning." Disability Studies Quarterly 31.3 (2011). Special issue on Disability and Rhetoric.
- "Personal Reflections on the Educational Potential and Future of Closed Captioning on the Web." Eds. J. Aitken, J. Pedego Fairley, and J. K. Carlson (eds) Communication Technology for Students in Special Education or Gifted Programs. Hershey, PA: IGI Global, 2011: 221-9.
- Accessible Podcasting: College Students on the Margins in the New Media Classroom. Computers & Composition Online. 2009.
- Charting a Course Between Methodological Formalism and Eclecticism: Pedagogical Tensions in Three Rhetorical Analysis Textbooks. The Review of Communication 9.2 (2009): 188-211.
- "Muted Voices: Cochlear Implants, News Discourse, and the Public Fascination with Curing Deafness." Rhetoric in Detail: Discourse Analytic Approaches to Rhetorical Talk and Text. Eds. B. Johnstone & C. Eisenhart. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins. 2008. 147-171.
- "Studying Style and Legitimation: Critical Linguistics and Critical Discourse Analysis" (with Barbara Johnstone). Rhetoric in Detail: Discourse Analytic Approaches to Rhetorical Talk and Text. Eds. B. Johnstone & C. Eisenhart. Amsterdam/Philadelphia: John Benjamins. 2008. 25-31.
- "'Just Roll Your Mouse Over Me': Designing Virtual Women for Customer Service on the Web." Technical Communication Quarterly 16.4 (2007): 397-430.
- "Demonstrating a Web Design Technique in a Distance Learning Environment." Communication Teacher 18.1 (2004): 33-35.
- "Artificial Intelligence as a Discursive Practice: The Case of Embodied Software Agent Systems." AI & Society 17.3-4 (2003): 340-363.
- "Scripting Sylvie: Language, Gender, and Humanness in Public Discourse About Software Agents." Gendered Practices in Language. Eds. S. Benor, M. Rose, D. Sharma, J. Sweetland, Q. Zhang. Stanford, CA: CSLI Press. 2002. 255-273.
- "Passing Loebner's Turing Test: A Case of Conflicting Discourse Functions." Minds & Machines: Journal for Artificial Intelligence, Philosophy, and Cognitive Science 11.1 (2001): 53-76.
- "Rising Up From the MUD: Inscribing Gender in Software Design." Discourse & Society 10.3 (1999): 379-409.
- "Demonstrating a Web Design Technique in a Distance Learning Environment." 2004. In Selections from the Communication Teacher, 2002-2005. Ed. S. E. Lucas. Instructor supplement to The Art of Public Speaking. 9th Ed. McGraw-Hill. 2007.
- "Passing Loebner's Turing Test: A Case of Conflicting Discourse Functions." 2001. The Turing Test: The Elusive Standard of Artificial Intelligence. Ed. J. Moor. Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers. 2003. 121-144.
- "Frozen Ecstasy: Visualizing Hearing in Marketing Materials for Cochlear Implants." Proceedings of the 25th ACM International Conference on Design of Communication (SIGDOC ’07). El Paso, TX, 22-24. October 2007. 241-248.
- Review of "A New Agenda in (Critical) Discourse Analysis" ed. by R. Wodak & P. Chilton. Language in Society 35.4 (2006): 613-616.
- Review of "Avatars of the Word: From Papyrus to Cyberspace," by J. J. O'Donnell. Computers and Society 30.1 (2000): 29-31.
- Review of "Rhetorical Hermeneutics: Invention and Interpretation in the Age of Science" ed. by A. G. Gross & W. M. Keith. Journal of Business and Technical Communication 12.4 (1998): 495-499.