Jobs & InternshipsPlease consult this page for current jobs in technical communication. To post a job or inquire about a posting, contact Dr. Miles Kimball, Director, TCR.
- Business Writer/Marketing Assistant, Gibraltar Group, Lubbock (8.1.12)
- Associate Technical Writer, Alcatel-Lucent (7.25.12)
- X-FAB Texas Technical Writing Internship (7.20.12)
Business Writer/Marketing Assistant, Gibraltar Group, Lubbock (8.1.12)
Requires the creative writing elements of communications coupled with effective account coordination with a variety of media that are critical for executing a sound corporate communications strategy.
Provides services while building trust, confidence and goodwill. Works successfully on an individual basis and within a team. Provide prompt, courteous service to internal staff as well as clients and vendors. Takes total ownership of personal accountability and full emotional maturity and anticipates the impact actions have on internal and external clients. Exhibits superior customer service skills
Responsible for conceptualizing, researching, drafting, editing and proofing a variety of compelling written communications that effectively translate diverse corporate messages and concepts for Senior Management and other staff.
Communications include press releases, marketing collateral, newsletter content, media editorial, client proposals, speeches, communications, strategic and marketing plans, marketing campaigns, web site content, client communications, research analyses, annual report copy, and other forms of written material. Required content will span industry and geography and must adapt to client style and task as necessary.
Develop templates and style guidelines to ensure effective and consistent communications companywide and for clients, as well as compliance with corporate identity standards and branding initiatives.
- Major in Business, Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations or related field, highly desirable
- Corporate copywriting preferred
- Demonstrated experience in translating concepts into effective and stimulating written communications for both internal and external constituents
- Experience developing, executing and evaluating a variety of internal and external communications strategies and techniques, including the customary tools of internal and external communications
- Proven experience with generally accepted office software and personal computers
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat is preferred
- Project management software (MS Project) experience is a plus
- Experience with audio/video demonstration technologies is highly desirable
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Capable of considering the audience and adapting the approach for different situations while presenting a united front with both internal and external clients
- Comfortable and effective with multi-tasking job assignments
- High internal motivation and drive are required for success in the position
- The ability to embrace change and innovation and to work in a fast paced environment are necessary characteristics
- Capable of evaluating and analyzing situations regarding accounts using insight, comprehension, and discretion
- Realize decisions made involving significant importance directly affect the success of the company
- Decisions have the potential to cause excessive monetary impact to the business bottom line
- Personal desire to learn and grow are also critical success factors
Please send CL and Resume to email@example.com
Target hiring date: August 27, 2012. Alcatel-Lucent is seeking an Associate Technical Writer with the desire to apply and execute upon newly attained technical and writing skills. The Associate Technical Writer is responsible for writing and editing technical documentation for Alcatel-Lucent software products. The technical writer should be highly motivated with a strong awareness of technologies and writing methodologies, and should be able to demonstrate good communication within cross-functional teams. Documentation deliverables will be tailored to specific audiences of varying technical skills, ranging from developers to end users. In addition, the recent graduate will have the opportunity to grow, to learn advanced documentation skills, and to use new technologies and sophisticated documentation tools with the assistance of successful technical writers. The Associate Technical Writer position is part of the global Customer Experience Solutions (CXS) family at Alcatel-Lucent, which resides in the software division of Alcatel-Lucent. CXS creates software and service solutions for telco, cable, satellite, and mobile service providers that enhance their offer management, activation, support, and maintenance capabilities. World-wide, our software helps service providers deliver a new generation of data services into a single, connected experience for their customers.
To apply, visit job number 12000009KH at https://aluperf.taleo.net/careersection/jobdetail.ftl?job=566666&lang=en&sns_id=gmail#.UBBZKJFUXwU.gmail Attach a cover letter and writing samples in PDF in addition to a resume.
X-FAB Texas Technical Writing Internship (7.20.12)
Project: Technical Writing in area of Semiconductor Facility
Work with X-FAB Texas engineers and technicians in Facility group to capture write up, document technical procedures and maintenance procedures from individuals that are the sole source of this knowledge. Give presentations and publish progress reports. Work schedule will be flexible with 15-20 hours per week.
Number of students: 1-2
Prerequisites: Graduate or undergraduate student in Technical Communication.
X-FAB Texas contacts:Marcus Borhani, PEX-FAB Texas Quality Group2301 N. UniversityLubbock, Texas 79415Phone 806-747-4400, x2147Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sid FriendX-FAB Texas Facility Group2301 N. UniversityLubbock, Texas 79415Phone 806-747-4400, x2232Email email@example.com
Technical Writer, HomeAway, Austin, TX (5.25.12) [link]
Responsible for writing various forms of help and technical documentation for software solutions. Responsible for gathering technical information, preparing written text, and coordinating design and manual organization. Research available engineering information such as drawings, design reports, equipment, and test specifications. Will interview engineers and other technical personnel to acquire working knowledge of customer requirements, industry best practice, user compliance requirements for various company products, purpose and structure of a document, and user's level of understanding. Create and update user guides, technical manuals, online help, and other forms of documentation for target audiences. Create and enhance documentation for software products based on development functional and implementation specifications, pre-release software, customer feedback, and interviews with software developers, test engineers, product managers, and support representatives. Coordinate with product management and development managers to schedule writing assignments in order to meet project timelines; Work with product management to agree on the documentation deliverables appropriate for new and existing products. Demonstrate strong analytical and organizational skills. Ability to quickly become subject matter expert in assigned product area.
Role and Responsibilities
- Form/ manage focus groups with internal and external resources to better understand what users need to establish project plan.
- Design and create user documentation.
- Edit for grammar, terminology and other writing standards.
- Adjust documents as needed to comply with established templates or general standards of document quality.
- Identify logical inconsistencies in the flow of steps or information in the document.
- Interact with subject matter experts inside and outside of the HASP team to resolve gaps in documentation.
- Track documents through the editing process for version control.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Minimum 2 years of technical writing experience creating user guides, technical programming manuals, online help, and other forms of technical documentation.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Skills in Microsoft Word.
- Ability to track multiple projects.
- Must be able to work well with little direction.
- Proven ability to work independently with a high level of quality such that a final review produces very little feedback.
- Prior experience work on software implementation project.
Paid Internship, Unigo.com
I am seeking a few bright students from the English Department at Texas Tech University who will be paid $16/hour. Interns will represent their school by writing published reviews and conducting virtual chats with prospective students. This is a remote internship with a flex schedule. I am hiring immediately, and would greatly appreciate you forwarding the below job description to students in your department.
Description: Unigo.com, a multimedia college platform, is looking for exceptional college students to join our network. College students will be paid $16/hour to chat online with prospective students interested in their university. What’s great about this program is you can work around your unique schedule and commit to as many or few sessions as you wish. Your involvement can change higher education by making the college application process easier and more informative.
-Must be a college student or recent graduate
-Must have access to a computer and webcam
-Must have excellent writing and communications skills
1. Register on Unigo here: http://www.unigo.com/customregister.aspx?type=insider
2. Create your profile: upload a profile photo and fill out the fields in the profile section
3. To qualify for this paid service, you must create a review about your college. A review takes about 15 min and will serve as a writing sample.
4. Our editorial staff will read through all posted reviews. Selected students will receive details within the next 2 weeks on how to get started.
Unigo is an online community led by college students and counselors to help families find, get in and pay for college. Founded in 2008, Unigo is based in New York and funded by McGraw-Hill Education and a group of angel investors. Unigo works with media companies such as USA Today, The Huffington Post, US News & World Report and others. For more information visit: http://www.unigo.com/fast-facts.aspx
Senior Digital Business Development & Marketing Associate
386 Park Avenue South, 15th Floor
New York, NY 10016
C. (609) 216-1399
Paid Internship, Omnitec
Omnitec Solutions Inc., a web technology company, is looking for technical writing interns to assist in writing documentation for a large content management system used by the Department of Defense, as well as helping in the development of training curriculum for the same system. Writers will be expected to work up to 20 hours a week, and will be paid $10 per hour.
- Must be U.S. citizen
- Must live in the Lubbock area, or have the ability to attend weekly meetings in Lubbock
Strong writing background (ideally with a technical background)
- The ability to self motivate
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
Desired Skills include:
- Experience with Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop
- PHP, XML, or HTML coding.
Applicants please send their resumes to Bailey.Miller@Omnitecinc.com ASAP. Interviews will be scheduled upon receipt of resume.
Technical Writer in Austin
Zilliant Engineering is growing and currently searching for a talented Technical Writer to join the team. Under the direction of a Technical Publications Manager, this person will work with subject-matter experts to create and maintain new and existing documentation deliverables for both technical and non-technical audiences. We are looking for candidates who have a strong work ethic, self-motivation, good teamwork skills, and flexibility. Additional responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conducting research by interviewing subject-matter experts and studying relevant existing publications and specifications.
- Conducting audience analysis with a focus on User Advocacy.
- Working effectively with product development teams including Software Developers,
- Quality Assurance Representatives, Customer Support Engineers and representatives from Sales, Marketing, and Solutions Engineering.
- Following existing standards and style guidelines.
- Writing, editing, and indexing documentation deliverables such as User Guides, Reference Guides, Installation Guides, Administration Guides, Upgrade Guides, Help Systems, Release Notes, and others.
- Managing time effectively to handle multiple product releases and deliverables.
- Bachelors Degree (English and Technical Communication degrees preferred but not required), preferably with coursework in computer science or equivalent technical experience.
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Portfolio highlighting the application of skills and knowledge learned during Technical Communication coursework or on the job
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, time management, and written communication skills Interest in information design
- Willingness and ability to learn about 3rd-party software
- Content management knowledge a plus Familiarity with Java a plus
Posted March 8, 2008
Production Editor in New Mexico
TITLE: PRODUCTION EDITOR DEPT: BUREAU OF GEOLOGY
REG FULL TIME
STARTING RATE or SALARY RANGE $27,478 - $34,068
This is an intermediate-level position within the Publications group. Position is responsible for the layout and production of various Bureau publications. Works closely with the remainder pubs team in the development of both print and the electronic publications. Composition and layout of publications, both print and digital using InDesign. Digital product design and production – includes designing interfaces for digital products, specs for print and electronic products, gathering bids from manufacturers, and press checking/quality control. Technical editing and proofreading of miscellaneous publications in progress. Project management – includes working with both Bureau staff and outside contactors to bring publication projects to completion. Maintenance of routine records related to publishing function, including ISBN numbers, Library of Congress CIP data, copyright registration, etc.
Bachelor’s degree required in Sciences, Technical communication, English, or related fields. Proficiency in computer composition and layout, using InDesign on a MacIntosh computer required. Proficiency with other Adobe programs including Illustrator, Acrobat, and Photoshop required. Proofreading and technical editing skills required. Proficiency in the creation, editing and management of PDF’s required. Ability to develop electronic publication products, including CD Roms, Web pages, and databases required. Knowledge of basic grammar, composition, and spelling required. Experience with offset print production desired. Must have a New Mexico Driver’s License. Transcripts required for consideration. Apply to: New Mexico Tech, Human Resources 801 Leroy Pl. Wells Hall Box 22, Socorro, NM 87801-4796
Karla J. Montoya
Posted: March 19, 2008
Part-Time Technical Communicator in Lubbock
The Wind Science and Engineering Research Center is in need of a new technical writer, and we are interested in hiring a student (either graduate or undergrad) to do some part-time work for us. The responsibilities would include:
1) Helping faculty assemble and write proposals and reports
2) Editing for faculty papers and submissions
3) Creating PowerPoint presentations for faculty
4) Managing the Research Library
5) Assisting in the Center where needed
I would appreciate your assistance in finding students who might be interested in gaining experience and working 10-20 hours per week. Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is someone else I need to contact.
Carol Ann Stanley
Wind Science and Engineering Research Center
Texas Tech University
(806) 742-3479 ext. 339
Posted: March 19, 2008
Internship in Houston
I am writing at the suggestion of the Society of Technical Communicators (STC) here in Houston. I am writing to solicit student resumes for a summer internship here at Baker Hughes.
We are seeking an intern interested in learning more about oilfield tools and technology from a Technical Writing standpoint. The selected individual will be offered the chance to work closely in creating, editing and correcting technical documentation associated with the cutting edge technology we offer the industry. Potential activities include:
1) Interviews with manufacturing and repair subject matter experts,
2) Taking, editing and including photographs to illustrate technical documentation.
3) Reading and understanding technical drawings.
4) Interviewing design engineers
5) Participating in tool meetings with cross-sectional team members
6) Creating new technical documentation in support of new tools
Unfortunately, I do not have contract details to offer at this point that would speak to compensation or terms and conditions. I expect to have them shortly.
All who are interested in learning more about Baker Hughes can go to: http://www.bakerhughesdirect.com/cgi-bin/bhi/myHomePage/myHomePage.jsp
I look forward to hearing from you.
Richard P. Warren
Technical Writing Lead
2001 Rankin Road
Houston, Texas 77073-5001
Posted: March 19, 2008
Junior Technical Communicator in Austin
UT Austin has a junior technical communicator position open, and your students would be well qualified. If there is a web form I can fill out or an e-mail list you can send the posting to, I would appreciate it. We are doing some really interesting things with our web site, and I think folks will find our department to provide a great team environment.
Here is the URL for the position. http://www.utexas.edu/its/about/jobs/TWII-020108.php
Manager, Strategic Communications
Information Technology Services
The University of Texas at Austin
Wright, Lisa G [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Posted: February 12, 2008
Instructional Systems Designer
Position: Fulltime. Contingent on contract award.
Develop classroom-based, instructor-led, mediated courseware and/or interactive multimedia instruction (IMI) from technical reference materials with subject matter expert assistance. Design instructional and testing strategies; define user interface requirements; develop learning objectives and instructional content (graphics, text, narration, practice exercises, test items, etc., including branching and remediation logic for IMI). Construct IMI storyboards and write narration scripts for mediated instruction. Develop lesson plans for classroom-based instruction, including Instructor Guides, Student Guides, and PowerPoint visual media. Work with other programming and production staff to coordinate development of finished product. Work can be performed from a ManTech office or at a distance from your home office.
Excellent written communication skills are required. Must have a good sense of visual presentation and interactive training techniques. Direct experience in designing and developing interactive training content as reusable objects for multimedia instruction operating in a SCORM-compliant LMS is highly desirable. Must have excellent oral and written communication skills, and good attention to detail, especially with regard to grammar, spelling, and text layout. Must be able to handle stress and work well under pressure. Prior military experience or experience developing technical training for the military is beneficial. Familiarity with Military Performance Specification 29612 and associated Data Item Descriptions, as well as with Military Handbook 29612 is a definite plus.
Minimum Education Level: Bachelor's degree in education, instructional technology, or related field, or equivalent experience creating adult-level training materials is preferred. Experience: 8 to 10 years no degree OR 2 to 4 with BS/BA OR 0 to 2 with MS/MA.
ManTech Training Solutions
Keaton, Dee D'Lynn [Dee.Keaton@ManTech.com]
Posted: February 12, 2008
Technical Communicator in Richardson, TX
ARGO is a leading financial services’ software solution provider. They are currently building a team of technical communicators and need to hire both a permanent and at least one part-time writer to work on site in our Richardson, Texas office.
For the permanent position, they are looking for someone with experience creating systems documentation. They are willing to hire someone without this experience if they are a proven, strong writer. For the part-time job, they are hoping to hire an intern, who will work approximately 20 hours each week doing writing and editing.
Ginger Ebinger – Manager, Corporate Communications
1500 N. Greenville Ave., Suite 500
Richardson, Texas 75081
Posted: February 15, 2008